Each night Jocelyn and I sing a song before she goes to bed. The lyrics are "Good nigth _____ Good night ______ good night ______ we'll see you again really soon."
She has taken to requesting everyone she knows to be sung to. She is also starting to know and remember the names of all of her aunts and uncles. Last night we were singing to all of them and while I made sure we did not miss anyone I realized she would not request Steven. Because she does not know him. Or better, she does not remember him. She DOES know him, but that memory is clouded right now.
My stomach dropped. I always knew he would be the favorite uncle. Maybe he just didn't want to create that kind of competition for everyone else?
As I think about it, I guess there are some good lessons I can take from this as well.
1) She can know him. I need to be better at showing her pictures and telling her about him. I think I have avoided it because I cry so easily. But she needs to know.
2) The last line in the song is what matters. "We'll see you again really soon."
It seems like forever. I look at our lives and who knows how many years it will be before we see him again? Sure it is a blink of an eye for him. But what about us? Don't get me wrong. I am truly in love with my family and our life right now. I am enjoying it. But I cannot wait for the time when we can all be with him again.
Until that time though, I will make more effort. I will make sure that she knows him. And hopefully, in the near future she will want to sing to Steven and tell him that we will see him again really soon. Because we will. (though sometimes it does not seem soon enough.)
It's Enough
11 years ago

2 comments:
That made me tear up. You're such a good mommy. That's a great idea to share him through photos and stories.
So touching what a way to getting my eyes watering. Yes I held back the tears. But I agree. I though it is had to talk about and brings a lot of memories but talking about it to her will help her getting to know him. Don't forget about pictures of him. You ans your family are awesome!!
Post a Comment