Voting

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ears

Jocelyn has been struggling with ear infections since she was 5 months. After 7 (one on top of the other) we scheduled an apt. with the infant chiropractor and an ENT. The chiropractor was able to get the infection to go away (something I highly recommend and will do immediately next time we have a little one.) The ENT said to keep doing that and see what we can do. Well it worked, as long as we kept going. But the holidays came and we fell behind. Normally that would not be a problem, but in her case it resulted in three more rather ugly infections. We decided then that it was important to get tubes in her ears. For her hearing, speech development, happiness and our happiness. So on February first, off we went to the hospital.

Reading stories before the surgery


Cuddle time
I don't know about you but I thought the little hospital gown was so dang cute!


We were warned she would be very unhappy afterward. I was still unprepared for the crazy baby screaming and squirming with all her might while still having her eyes closed because the anesthesia had not worn off yet. We took her home and after a lot of standing and rocking and singing got her to sleep. Later she woke up, still a little unhappy. Luckily we have baby crack, i.e. little crunchies. Nothing else made her happy. She sat and ate those for a while. By that night she was her normal self and also started clapping for the first time!


So all in all, I have learned a lot these last 5 months.
1) Infant chiropractors are amazing (if you want to understand it better let me know I will explain) I think if we had taken her early on we could have prevented the infections all together.

2) Need to know how to get your baby to take oral medication? Ask my, I am now an expert. I might also know exactly how each one works for Jocelyn and its name and how long to take it.

3) Tubes are not the end of the world. I thought I would have to put ear plugs in her ears for everything. But she is just fine for her baths and we only need to worry if she will be submerging her head 3 ft or deeper. So we will still have a wonderful happy summer of swimming. Yay!

4) Do whatever you need to to stop ear infections. Everyone is happier because of this. I promise.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

We haven't had a baby that is prone (that spelling looks weird, but I'm too lay to look it up)... anyway, prone to ear infections. If we ever do, I know who to go to for expert advice.