The trip to "The Farm" this Thanksgiving made me really sentimental this year. Who knows why, crazy "new baby" hormones? Sharing loved things and moments with family? Or maybe it is because I know my Grandma will not be around forever and I want to cherish every moment with her? Or maybe all of the above? Either way, these pictures and moments mean so much more to me than I could ever put into words.
This is my Grandma's recipe for Monkey Bread. Apparently she learned it on her mission with my Grandpa in the Philippines. I am pretty sure it is everyone's favorite. Once my Grandpa passed away, my Grandma would not, or maybe, could not bring herself to make it anymore. I know it will never be the same, but hopefully the grandkids can make some feeble attempt at making it.
I posted this in the previous post. But this means a lot to me. I am sure my parents have similar pictures of me in front of this house and swing set. I grew up here. Spent hours. That house...belonged to my Great Grandpa. I longed for the view of this house every minute we were away from it. I hope it is around forever...
My Grandpa had a horse named Prince. He also had a dog named Sport and the three of them were a little trio. But that is a story for another time. Every time we went to visit I begged my Grandpa to let me ride Prince. He would saddle him and tell me if I rode the horse all day I would get to take him home with me. So I rode Prince, all day. And never got to take him home. I blamed my parents. But I loved riding the horse. I even considered myself an expert, though I was far from it.
My Grandpa also liked to scare us into not doing stupid things. Once I insisted I was big enough to lead my little brother around on the horse. ( pretty sure I was probably only 8 or younger.) He told me not to get stepped on or he would give me a lickin'. Sure enough the horse stepped on my toe. I made sure i was all the way in the house, far away from Grandpa before I burst into tears and told my mom. Once he found out he laughed and gave me a huge hug.
It took a lot to coax Grandma out of her house and to the park. Sometimes she is silly like that. But we sure enjoyed having her there with us.I am grateful for the time I have with her.
Jocelyn LOVES her Great Grandma. I think that sometimes Grandma is the most alive when she is with her great grandchildren. Maybe it is because she cannot rely on them to take care of her. She knows they need her energy. Or maybe they give her energy? Either way, I love watching her with them.
Really, I could go on forever. This Thanksgiving made me truly grateful for my amazing family. My wonderful aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, siblings and of course my grandparents. Best. People. Ever.






1 comment:
Such a special time of the year and such a special memory for you all to have with your sweet grandparents. The horse pictures made Henry want to ride one with Joci.
Post a Comment