We spent the morning at the sidewalk chalk festival and I felt some cramping. Then went home for naps (which totally did not happen) I was exhausted and could not figure out why.
By about 4 pm I had what I thought might be contractions but did not want to jump to conclusions. I just told Cory I may be having Calli in the next few days. Went to target with Jocelyn then went to her good friend's birthday party. At that point I knew I was having contractions but thought they were 30 minutes apart. I sent Cory about 30 minutes away to spend time with friends and stayed at the party. My mom called me and told me to time the contractions, so I did. Surprise! They were 10 minutes apart. But I was not sure if they were strong enough to be considered "labor". So I stayed. At about 715 I figured it would be better to be safe than sorry and told Cory to come home. I then asked my wonderful friend if she could watch Jocelyn and started to walk home to get everything ready. On the way home the contractions picked up in intensity and I knew this was the real thing.
Side note, some of our neighbors were driving by and joked about honking to send me I to labor. To which I replied that I was. It still seems so odd to me that I was just walking along having a conversation about how I was in labor. It is so not what they make it seem like in the movies.
Anyway, packed the bags, and we were off to the hospital around 8ish. Right when we got to our room the contractions hit the point that I was glad I was getting an epidural. The nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 5, almost completely effaced and baby was super low. Then the blessed anasesioalogist arrived. Really now, props to you if you go without pain meds but for me it's a godsend. Back labor is no joke people. (well probably labor in general is not, but you know.)
The epidural did not completely numb my left side but I did not mind because I was able to kind of know what was going on without being in major pain. They broke my water around 930 and said she would most likely come very quickly. (another note, apparently she was head down but facing my left side and the nurse said that is most likely why she did not come before 38 weeks.)
At 1050 the nurse came in because the monitor was not picking up her heartbeat. After a few minutes of trying to find it she finally moved the monitor about as low as she could and behold, there was Calli, ready to come out. She notified the Dr. and everyone prepared for baby time. They got everything ready and I began to push around 11:14 and she was born 6 minutes later.6 lbs .6 oz and 19 inches long and a good set of lungs. ( she cried until she was swaddled)
I honestly, feel that out of all 40 weeks of pregnancy, labor is the easiest part. Most likely because of my epidural and small children, but I am grateful for it. I have an amazing Dr. and the nurses were wonderful. We love little miss Calli Joy and already cannot imagine life without her.



No comments:
Post a Comment