Voting

Friday, September 12, 2008

Remember


     I know it is now September 12, but I did not have the time to post something yesterday. But I did not want to forget. So here is my post for yesterday.
We are all good at remembering important days from before we can even remember or were even born. D-Day, Pearl Harbor, or even July 4. But it seems we are all too quick to forget, or maybe just think that there is a day seven years ago that should be remembered as well.
I can vividly remember September 11 2001. I was going to Seminary and someone mentioned something had happened. We thought he was crazy and told him so, until after when we heard the news reports proving him right. We could think of nothing else, the whole nation could think of nothing else. It was a terrifying time for everyone. But it also drew us together. All over the country people called loved ones, lit candles, raised their flags and sang patriotic songs. We were the America I believe our Forefathers dreamt of. But now it seems we have all but forgotten what drew us together, and why we choose to live where we do.
      I do not want to forget. Not because I want to bring up sorrow, but because I want to appreciate, to its full extent, what I have and what we all have. I want to thank those who still remember and thus help those who are not here today because of it live on. I am thankful for people like my Dad and the scouts who raised the flags to commemorate those we lost that day and the days after. My neighbor who is not even native to this country, who I am sure lit his candles last night and might have even sang a patriotic song or two. And last but not least my wonderful husband, cousins, friends and all those other men and women who have given up their realities to protect us from "realities" we cannot even imagine.
     Despite what most seem to think of America these days, I choose to remember that day and all other days before and after it, and remember that I am proud. Proud of my country and proud to be a part of it. I am proud to be an American. Thank to all who have made that possible for me.

No comments: