After laughing at ourselves we decide to just hang out until the meeting is over and quietly join our actual ward for sunday school and relief society/priesthood. The congregation finished the last hymn and all was going according to plan, except no one was getting up. Then we see this young man make his way to the podium. "Ok he is going to make a last minute announcement" I think, then he says, " welcome to sunday school." Cory and I look at eachother and at that point realized that we would not make it out of this blunder so gracefully. Then the young man continues, "If you are new to our ward and planning on staying, please stand up and introduce yourselves."
"We don't need to, we are not planning on staying, and I am sure there are more people here who are new. " I think. But as I think this, he turns to face us, and looks directly at us. At that same moment, every head in the congregation turns to look at us as well. There was no way of getting out of it now. So Cory stands up, " My name is Cory Mince, this is my wife Rachel. We are actually in the wrong ward, we are supposed to be in the BYU 98th ward. But it was a good meeting." And with that, the meeting finally ended and we were allowed to join our actual ward. What a sunday!
Now, along comes Tuesday. Today, I was supposed to go into my new job to be trained before I worked on my own tomorrow. I am working as a Receptionist for a salon here in Utah. Mind you that up until now I have been a lifeguard, swim instructor/coach, and voice teacher. Nothing really to do with hair or style or receptionist, except my short stint at Express. I was supposed to be there at 10:00am. I show up early and no one is there so I just wait. 10:30 the person who hired me sees there is still no one there and lets me in. I then find out that the receptionist who is supposed to train me is nowhere to be found, and am asked to just answer phones and things until they figure out what to do. ( mind you I know nothing about this place except the name.)
Not too long after this a stylist comes to help me a little bit between clients and I find out that the receptionist is not sick, or hurt. But she is upset that I was hired because she thought I was going to take her hours. ( I was only hired to take the ones she didn't want to work) So she decided to show them how upset she was by not showing up to help me. So I got to spend the day interrupting the stylists in the middle of doing a clients hair so they could show me how to work things like cash registers and credit card machines and place product orders.
To top it all off, the two stylists out of the three there working today who knew enough to help me a bit had to leave before 5. But, instead of closing the salon when they left, I got to close the salon all by myself. Now, they did try to help me by zeroing out the register before they left so I wouldn't have to do it by myself. It could have worked if someone didn't show up to buy some product at 5, when I was all alone. Luckily I was able to ring her up. But That was about it. I was so lost.
If the first day doesn't say how interesting this job has the potential to be, then I don't know what does. So tomorrow is day two, wish me luck! Hopefully it will be a little less eventful then day 1.
oh...and I also discovered that one of the stylists I work with is the sister of someone that my sister in law was once engaged to. Small world....... what a fun day!

1 comment:
So, did they fire that receptionist? I would have.
Post a Comment