Voting

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Check in and reality check

So I had my check in for the competition at work yesterday. And lets just say it was a reality check for me 126 lbs and 25% body fat. That is right, both went up by one instead of down.

But, I need to be honest with myself. I used to think it was so funny to see people acting exactly how I am now. Talking about what they know about losing weight or being healthy etc. All while chowing down on a cheese burger or going out for ice cream. I have not been a great eater. If Cory wants to get ice cream, I say "Why not?" If I don't have time to make dinner, we get whatever is easiest, not the most healthy. I tell myself I am doing ok and no big deal. But....I am not.

Once upon a time, before I had a child, I was so good! I was healthy and not because I had to be, because I wanted to be. I loved what I ate and loved finding good healthy foods for us to eat. I loved working out and had no problem going before or after work. I just got home whenever and then hung out with Cory.

Now, I am tired. Waking up early to work out does not sound as refreshing as it once did and it really tires me out. The thought of getting all sweaty when I just took my one of 2 showers for the week is not so appealing anymore. Spending time planning menus and going grocery shopping (i actually used to enjoy this.) its just time I do not have. So I opt to grab food. I make all these plans to set a day aside to make a bunch of food for the week, but that day is also spent cleaning and I rarely and probably have never actually done both in one day. When I used to do anything to make sure I had healthy food and a good work out, I am more inclined to stay home and spend time with Cory and Jocelyn because I really only get from around 6pm-8pm each night to do so (half of which is spent making and cleaning up from dinner or getting diner) and I hate giving my entire Saturday with them up just to clean and cook.

A lot of excuses? Most likely yes. I know I need to buck up and figure something out. I am just overwhelmed. It was easier when it was not winter and I could work out AND spend time with Jocelyn. So....its time to make another plan. I want to work out, it makes me happy. I want to eat healthy and spend time with my family. So now is the time to figure out how best to do so.

So....any working moms out there have suggestions of what works for them? Especially in the winter?

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I have struggled with this lately, too, so I don't know if I really know what works for me currently. I do know that when I went on my big health kick after having Marie I had to make some sacrifices. Being a stay at home mom doesn't make it any easier to fit in exercise, cooking, and cleaning. It is easier to get time in with the kids, of course, but that's about it. Anyway, I went to the gym 3 days a week after Brandon got home and he would make dinner so we could eat when I got home. Sometimes I hated it. I know I was home all day with them, but me being gone at that time made those evenings super crazy and sometimes overwhelming. I was usually gone for 2 hours because of the distance we live from the base (where I go to the gym). It was worth it to both Brandon and I at the time though so we did it. And we will do it again after I have this baby. Either that or I am going to save some serious bucks to get an elliptical or treadmill at our house. I know you hate to be away from J, but maybe you could just stay late at work to get in your exercise? Set a time that you always exercise and just do it, whether you feel like it or not. You will never regret the time after the fact.

Other than that, I say just do your best. Sure your body isn't perfect in your mind, but you aren't overweight and you aren't killing yourself with your habits. This is not your season to focus so specifically on how you eat and exercise. This is your time to be a mom and give J the happiest mom she can get. Give yourself a break. You don't need the added stress of trying to maintain the perfect image when you already have so much on your plate.

Kelli said...

I'm semi-bed rested right now, so I'm not able to work out (although, I do go against the doctor's wishes and I do prenatal yoga several times a week to help with my back pain). So as far as working out goes, I've got nothing for ya.

However, healthy meals don't have to be difficult or time consuming. First of all, we invest a lot of money in paper products to help make clean up a little easier (that way I can limit the amount of time I'm on the feet, since I'm supposed to be sitting most of the day). Also, healthy meals can be simple! I often make meals a couple days in advance and then freeze them. So if I'm making lasagna one night, I just make double the amount and freeze it. Then on a night where I don't have the time or energy to make dinner, I can just toss it in the oven. Quick, easy, and healthy.

You can do this with lots of different foods. i.e. Chicken Stir fry, thaw it, steam some rice in a rice cooker, and eat.

Or another common dinner in our house is BBQ Chicken Salad. Basically I just bake some chicken, throw some bbq sauce on it, and eat it with a bunch of mixed greens, veggies, and a hard boiled egg. To make it even easier, just purchase the pre-prepared salad kits.

Anyway, those are just a few things that I do in at our house.