Voting

Sunday, April 6, 2008

our busy week


It has been quite a week for Cory and I. To start us off, on Monday, Cory left 29 palms for the last time. He is now out of the Marines. And not just discharged, but medically retired. So at age 22 Cory is retired. We had a family dinner that night and planned an even bigger one for his extended family ( all in or around camarillo) on friday night. 
Then, on Wednesday or Thursday, we found out that our honeymoon to Hawaii might not happen. We had booked through yahoo travel and got a great package for seven days for $1300 hotel and airfare included. But, our airline decided that that just wont do so they just had to go out of business. Needless to say Cory was a little stressed for the next couple of days.
We basically had three options, get a refund for our cheap tickets and pay the price of our package again for the continually growing airline prices, ask the hotel to honor our reservations for up to a year and get tickets later, or just cancel and pay a fee to cancel our hotel. On Friday, after realizing that there would be no way to be sure we could ever get tickets for less then near $500 per person again, we decided to pay the cancelation fee and go up the coast for a few days. The coast is beautiful, there is a reason I would love to be in California forever. With that decided we went to Cory's for his dinner.
The whole family was there. Including his uncles parents, who own the company most of the family works for  ( and are quite well off, though they don't seem so.) It was a great dinner, and mom dad and sara came.It was fun having everyone get to know each other. 
When the gathering was beginning to die down, Bill, ( Cory's uncles dad) and his wife mentioned ATA going down. So Cory and I of course filled everyone in on our little tale of woe. As we were talking about it they asked if we could keep our hotel reservations, and we said yes but the ticket prices were not reasonable for us. Then Bill asked where we were flying to. We said Honolulu and then he just said, don't change it, its taken care of. A little confused I think we kind of just stared and maybe said what, so he just said, " Its taken care of, Ill get the dates and stuff from your mom." Im pretty sure I am still shocked. I have always known they are such nice people and generous, but I had no idea. They have no real obligation to us, they are Cory's aunt's in-laws, but they treat us like their children. I only hope I can do something to make it up to them someday. 
Needless to say, I am becoming a part of an amazing family ( and not just because they pay for my honeymoon to Hawaii.) I can honestly say that I am so excited for my future, I know it will not be easy, but I also know that from both my family and his we will always be surrounded by family who loves us.


No comments: