Ok,
So I am going to get a little political here. I could post it on facebook but I think this would be better at avoiding arguments. We obviously all know about the GOP primaries going on right now. Even if you don't want to know, you do. Kind of annoying. However, I do know that I want to go into this voting armed with as much knowledge as I can. Its difficult for me. Reading up and learning about candidates is like trying to organize my whole house. I think its a good idea and start to do it, then I get overwhelmed by all the things that I don't want to see and I quit.
So I am turning to you, my friends and family. I would like to have a very kind (keep that in mind please.) discussion about who you like and why. Lets assume we are just talking about GOP. We know Obama will be running again. Enough said there. Who would you like to see as the Republican candidate and why?
My opinions are as follows. I like those who appear to be willing to lean towards moderate because I like the idea of compromise. Even if I am wishing for something that my not happen. So here are the three I am kind of considering.
Mitt Romney- Honestly? I can't say I love him, but I can't say I hate him. It is true he has a history of success at getting businesses going. He also has a history of dropping them. But maybe we need that guy to get us going again? I like that he shows moderate tendencies. People hate the health care thing he did as a Governor, but maybe we need to be willing to compromise like that?
John Huntsman- I really don't know a ton about him. I know that I liked him when he was in Utah. I liked his view on things. I liked that he supported Civil Unions, alternate forms of transportation and his willingness to try and get a very conservative state to look at both sides of an argument. I do not like that when asked if he was a "Mormon" that he totally side stepped the answer. This is not just because I am a "Mormon" but because I do not like that he was not willing to say, "Yes, I am.". No matter what you believe, if you are going to hide it to please others, what does that say about how you will deal with pressure to stick to what you believe for (not religious but other.) our country if you are in office? So much of me wants to like him, but little things like that make me nervous.
Ron Paul- Everyone seems to love him. He is the answer (so it seems) . I seem to like his stand on some things but, earlier in the year this video showed up on my Facebook news feed. Sorry but that killed it for me. Its a weak argument and complete trash. Not to mention what it is implying about our military while trying to make a statement on war. Being the wife, friend and family member of those who have been oversees and been scared by it, I don't like that add one bit. I really am willing to give him a chance though. Just prove to me he is worth it.
Ok after that novel- if you are willing to share, who do you like? Why? Do you have some things for me to read to change my opinions? I welcome it if you do. Lets keep this friendly and mostly informative. Thanks!
It's Enough
11 years ago

2 comments:
I don't really know! I think I will start to worry about it when it comes down to the official GOP candiate...I have a feeling that Huntsman will drop out in the next few months. But I do like him...I think Utah has a really strong economy and I think he played a role in that (maybe not the entire role...but a role none the less). I like how he is more of a moderate...I guess we will see how some of the primaries work out.
I'm like you... I know I should be more educated and I want to be. I just get so overwhelmed (and super annoyed) by all of it that in the end I feel like burying my head in the sand! Good for you for trying so hard!
Post a Comment