Voting

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Jocelyn's Birthday


So almost two months later....the story of Jocelyn's birth.

I went to bed on February 28. I had felt some cramping but thought it was nothing. Sometime that night the cramping got a little stronger. When I realized it was getting stronger then going away pretty regularly I decided to take a bath.

While in the bath I tried to figure out what was going on. I thought a little bit about it being labor but figured it was just my body getting ready. It wasn't too bad. Yet. Just to be sure I got online and looked a few things up, nothing really just things saying to call the Dr. I didn't want to call for no reason so I decided to try and sleep again and wait.

About an hour later the cramping hurt a little more so I decided to shower just in case I was going to have the baby. While in the shower the contractions got worse (didn't know what they were yet) I had to lean forward and breath through them a couple times.

After the shower I told Cory I thought I might be having the baby but I needed to call my Mom first. After talking to my mom, we decided I should go to the hospital. While Cory tried to pack some things for me (I had nothing prepared) I had to kneel down for a contraction. As I stood up I felt some liquid and assumed my water broke.

The trip to the hospital was definitely not the best. But getting to the hospital was a happy moment, until they checked me in and told me that if my water had not broke I would need to wait an hour for an epidural. Luckily it had, once the nurse checked me she went out into the hall and told the anesthesiologist to get me an epidural as soon as possible. I was already at a 4 and the baby was really low.

The epidural was the best thing ever. I was terrified of it, but by the time I was getting it, that was nothing. And after that, we just hung out until I told the nurse I felt some pressure. She was surprised but, I was at a 10. The Dr. came in after she finished up a c-section. By then it was around 2 PM. I pushed for a little less then an hour and baby Jocelyn was born at 2:51, 5lbs 11oz. 17.5 inches long.

Its amazing to look back and think about. It wasn't until right before we went to the hospital that I actually realized, or let myself believe I was in labor. But I think it was good because I was terrified of it, and not anticipating the contractions actually made things better.

Everyone talked about reasons she came early. Most having to do with Steve. Either he gave her a great big push or he was pesting her too much. But I think Cory was right when he said, "I think she just knew we needed her now." It was the craziest two weeks ever. But she blessed all of our lives by coming four weeks early.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Good times. Has it really been 2 months already? Time sure goes fast.