
Though you might have heard far and wide that I am the worlds greatest aquatics coordinator and could find no greater calling in life, (as the lightening strikes) you might be suprised to know, if you do not know already, that I have another passion. This passion is music, specifically the performance of the "classical" vocal type.
Having been relocated to Utah away from my trusted voice teacher I have fallen a little out of practice. I am in the process of finding a new one, but that does not change the last few months. Why am I telling you this? You may ask. Well this is why.
After paying a visit to some of my very good friends in Arizona a fire was re-lit inside me to persue some sort of performing. So, today I was looking on the website for Utah Opera and discovered they will be auditioning for the 2009-2010 season chorus. This was posted on the 16, the auditions are the 25 and 26. Ugh! My first thought was that there is absolutely no way I could be vocally ready for that. Not in one week without a coach or teacher. So I decided not to do it. Then I looked at the line up of operas. So great! Just a couple being Carmen and Suor Angelica ( of which the picture up top is from, so dramatic and beautiful!). Both amazing operas.
Now I am indecicive. Should I set up an audition? Can I really have an aria vocally ready in a week? Can I pull of the sight reading? Sight reading always firghtens me, especially nowThey want you to have signigicant vocal experience, do I have that? Or is this more for Grad Students? My biggest fear in doing this when I am not quite ready is of introducing myself into the Utah music world in a poor way. I have no idea what kindo of competition is out there or if I can compare to it and no one who has been there to give me any tips for the audition.
So now that you know my concerns, what do you think? Should I do it? Or should I spend the year really preparing myself and audition for some other smaller things in order to present myself better?
And just so you know, this is really not a case of stage fright or anything, I am not one to be afraid to just throw myself into an audition if I know I am prepared. This is more a case of not knowing if I could really be prepared in a week and if I have "signigicant" vocal performance experience.

1 comment:
Just do it. If it's meant to be, God will find a way.
Post a Comment