Voting

Friday, October 10, 2008

RLS

  Yes, I am posting a blog at 12:49 am. Why am I up at this time? You may ask, well I will tell you.
Recently, in the past year I have had this horrible sensation in my legs when I sleep at night. Not always, but at random times. This sensation is hard to describe. But basically it is something that makes me feel like i need to be moving my legs constantly and if I do not move them then it is so uncomfortable they start to spasm. Well, this can make sleeping quite difficult, especially when it tends to happen either when I am starting to fall asleep or randomly after I have been sleeping.
   Tonight happens to be one of those random nights that this happened. I had fallen asleep while cory was on the computer. Then got up to brush my teeth and when I went to lay down, my legs went crazy. So what did we do? We looked it up online. It turns out I might have RLS. Restless Leg Syndrome. Im pretty sure that I used to think that was something people said jokingly. But I can tell you first had, this is not funny. It is so uncomfortable and I cannot sleep! It is possible that it might be because I do not have enough iron in my blood, but I cannot know until I go to a doctor. 
   We have tried all we could think of. Massage, some sort of relaxing medication, oils and even went on a midnight walk. Yet here  I am, posting while simultaneously shaking my legs. Seriously, RLS? Who does that? 


   

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I get that, especially when I am pregnant. Not to say you are pregnant. I usually spend about 15 minutes stretching and it kind of helps. Sounds like yours is more extreme though. Sorry!

Becca said...

I get that to some times but it is very mild. I just have to take Advil or something. But I do have a slight iron deficiency form B vitamins that absorb in to my blood. Iron deficiency is heredity on my side of the family it sounds like.

Jenny said...

Hi Rachel! You are adorable! And yes, I get RLS as well. And especially when I am pregnant. It is so annoying. You poor thing. I sympathize with you on that one. Taking magnesium helps a tiny bit but not much.